Pumpkin Spice Season
Pumpkin season is officially underway! Besides the obvious fact that everyone loves the flavor of pumpkin (hello pumpkin spice everything) the health benefits that come from this festive gourd are endless, which make them the ultimate healthy option for dogs.
IS PUMPKIN SAFE for DOGs?
While there is no scientific evidence proving pumpkin is good for a dog's skin or coat, there is evidence that proves adding pumpkin to your dog's diet will help with their digestion. If your dog ever suffers from diarrhea, adding a couple spoonfuls of canned pumpkin to their diet can help absorb water and improve their stools significantly. Pumpkin contains soluble fiber, which is great for a pet's overall digestion since it slows digestion.
PUMPKIN NUTRIENTS & BENEFITS
- Pumpkin is high in fiber, which can help with your dog's constipation.
- Pumpkin slows digestion which can help your pet feel fuller longer.
- Oils found in pumpkin seeds and flesh are believed to support urinary health.
- A couple tablespoons on pumpkin in your dog's food bowl is a great way to add moisture into their diet.
- Because it can help pets feel fuller longer, pumpkin is a great way to help your dog lose weight as it is naturally low in calories. You can substitute 1/4 a cup of your dog food with a tablespoon of canned pumpkin!
- Pumpkin naturally contains Vitamin A which can sustain healthy vision. It also contains Vitamin C which can boost the immune system and help sustain healthy joint function in older dogs.
HOW CAN I INCORPORATE PUMPKIN INTO MY DOG'S DIET THIS SEASON?
- Be sure to buy just the regular canned pumpkin from the grocery store. Avoid the kind that says "Ready for pie" as it contains added sugars, salts, and fats which aren not beneficial to your dog's diet.
- You can add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to your dog's food, depending on the size and breed of your dog. Start off by giving him a little to taste to see if he likes it before adding it to their dry kibble. This is something you can do year round to benefit your dog's health!
While humans adore their pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin cereal, pumpkin spice coffees and more, it's important to note that you should NEVER give your dog anything without making sure it's pet-friendly and dog-safe. If you're ever unsure, check with your vet prior to feeding your dog a new tasty treat.
How do you plan on incorporating pumpkin into your dog's diet this season? For some inspiration, visit our Pinterest for pumpkin treat recipes!